Home / Swisslog debuts CarryPick warehouse robot in Dubai
Swisslog debuts CarryPick warehouse robot in Dubaiby ASC Staff on Mar 6, 2016
Swisslog, which manufactures automation solutions for warehouses and distribution centres, has unveiled its CarryPick robot at Dubai’s Museum of the Future.
Swisslog’s automated storage and goods-to-person order picking system is flexible, scalable, and quickly adjustable to changing demands in warehousing, where ‘product variability, delivery time and cost efficiency are daily challenges’.
The modular concept of CarryPick fits into existing buildings and stands out for its ability to be extended or relocated on short notice.
It consists of four components including mobile racks, automated guided vehicles, Swisslog’s workstations ProPick and the warehouse management system WM 6.
Swisslog’s automated system can reduce costs in a myriad of ways, including when it comes to returns, says Frédéric Zielinski, general manager of Swisslog Middle East.
In online retail, many products ordered by customers end up as returns back at the seller. Returns are a major financial issue. Even if returned items are in a sellable condition, the handling costs are doubled before any revenue is made.
In addition to shipping charges, companies also need to pay internal personnel and intralogistics costs, which are often just as high.
In the past, it was more common for e-commerce merchants to think of ways to make it difficult for customers to return purchases.
Swisslog’s strategy is to integrate returns processing right into the ongoing picking processes using partially and fully automated systems in order to accelerate returns movements. Adding the returned items into the flow of goods at this early stage, aided by the robot’s innate intelligence, means returned items are made available much more quickly for delivery to other customers.
“Our innovative technological approach allows picking and putaway of returns to take place at the same time,” explains Zielinski.
- Swisslog debuts CarryPick warehouse robot in Dubai
- PEIE joins OPMEX’16 as supporter & sponsor
- REPORT: Logistics firms turn to Middle East for growth
- Materials Handling Middle East refocuses amid growth
- Swisslog's first CarryPick solution for DB Schenker
- Swisslog celebrates sale of 1,000th AutoStore robot
- SSI Schaefer ranked No1 by US mag for eight year
- Seegrid shares flexible AGVs at Materials Handling ME
- Five reasons why you should visit Materials Handling ME
- Forklift industry to lift on renewed demand