Home / DP World starts largest solar project in Middle East
DP World starts largest solar project in Middle Eastby ASC Staff on Oct 10, 2016
DP World has begun phase one of a massive renewable energy project to install 88,000 solar panels on the rooftops of its facilities across Dubai.
The project is the biggest distributed solar rooftop project in the Middle East and will significantly reduce the port operator’s carbon emissions annually.
Distributed solar energy means the power is used close to where it is produced.
Once phase one is completed in 2017, the project will provide enough clean power for 3,000 homes a year, but will be used to power the Jebel Ali Free Zone.
The solar panels will provide 40% of the total energy consumption of Jafza, one of the world’s largest free trade zones.
After phase one is completed, phases two and three will install further solar installations in Jafza and Mina Rashid, with more than half of Jafza’s energy needs expected to be met by solar panels by 2020.
Phase one will be completed in 2017.
Jafza’s total energy consumption in 2015 was more than 75-million kWh and phase one is expected to reduce the free zone’s carbon emissions by 22,000 tons annually, equivalent to taking 4,500 cars off the road.
“By raising awareness of renewable energy, we are working towards a carbon neutral future for the UAE. This project demonstrates the scale of DP World’s ambition to be a world leader in sustainability and we look forward to sharing the learnings across our business and also with our stakeholders," said Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, DP World group chairman and CEO.
- DP World mulls Tesla tie-up to drive business growth
- DP World chairman says he’s not concerned by Trump
- DP World signs MoU to build freezone in Kazakhstan
- DP World reaffirms commitment to Indian growth
- DP World considering Egypt dry port
- DP World appoints new chief innovation officer
- DP World gets smart in Peru
- DP World focuses on expansion with new AED13bn fund
- DP World sees marginal growth in container volumes
- DP World starts largest solar project in Middle East