Home / Hutchison Ports Sohar introduces new gate system
Hutchison Ports Sohar introduces new gate systemby ASC Staff on Dec 20, 2016
The new system uses smart card technology, optical character recognition (OCR) cameras and unmanned gate kiosks to allow registered drivers to simply drive through Hutchison Ports Sohar terminal gates with no documentation or delays.
Drivers will no longer need to exit their vehicles while shipping and logistics companies can expect easier gate transactions with Hutchison Ports Sohar, the company said in a statement.
Albert Pang, CEO of Hutchison Ports Sohar, gate automation said: “Gate automation is the latest innovation from Hutchison Ports Sohar. We are continuously looking for new ways to optimize and modernize operations at our Sohar Port terminal. With these new technologies, we aim to benefit our stakeholders, including drivers and logistics service providers, as well as the economy of Oman.
“Container terminals are always aiming for more efficient operations and higher productivity, this is why automated terminals are fast becoming the norm. Our new automated gate system will strengthen the reputation of Sohar Port’s container terminal as a true world-class port,” he continued.
He added that when combined with the TAS, pickups and deliveries from the terminal are made easier, more secure and up to ten times faster.
“Hutchison Ports Sohar will of course help ease the transition to the new system by providing training to drivers at the start of the program.” Pang said.
- Contract awarded for development of Sohar Flour Mill
- Hutchison Ports Sohar introduces new gate system
- Sohar Port Q3 2016 container volumes increase 11%
- India interested in developing Duqm alongside Sohar
- Sohar Port reports double digit container growth
- Sohar Port goes remote for mega container ships
- Iran and Oman mark first ever shipping exchange
- Logistics services developed at Port of Duqm
- Sohar Port container volumes grow by 62% in 2015
- OICT unveils new truck appointment system at Sohar Port