Home / BLOG 5: Ahmad Lala: Cargo bookings & ascending tankers
BLOG 5: Ahmad Lala: Cargo bookings & ascending tankersby Ahmad Lala on Jun 19, 2012
The Dubai Trade Portal is one of those modern day amenities that once you’ve experienced - you wonder just how you’ve survived or, in this case, conducted business without it. So today, I visited the Dubai Trade offices to interview its CEO Mahmood Bastaki and find out all about the service.
Bastaki is extremely passionate about the Dubai Trade Portal and he gave me an enlightening explanation of the process; from its inception right through to what he plans for it in the future.
While I’ve kept most of his ‘secrets’ and will only reveal them in the July issue of Logistics Middle East magazine, there is one I have released on this website today. There is a plan for the Portal to soon become a one-stop hub for all shipping vessels and air cargo providers, I’ve been told. You can you read about that here: www.arabiansupplychain.com/article-7671-book-a-seat-for-your-cargo/
Meanwhile, it was certainly good news to hear that the White Whale tanker – with its cargo of 450 tonnes of diesel - had finally been brought to surface after an eight month hiatus at the bottom of the ocean this weekend. And, with no apparent leakage!
The ship had sunk off the coast of Umm Al Quwain on October 22, 2011 and the rescue operation cost an estimated Dh3 million.
If you’ve missed that story you can find it here:www.arabiansupplychain.com/article-7667-oil-tanker-rescued-after-8-months-at-bottom-of-ocean/
And, last but not least, on the website this month we asked the question: ‘Does the logistics industry in the Middle East need to attract more women?’ And more than 60 per cent of you have answered “No; this is an industry for men?” Really? Well the poll is still open if anyone hasn’t voted yet. It can be found on the home page and will close at the end of this week. The results will be posted in the July issue of Logistics Middle East magazine.
- DP World's outstanding achievement recognised in Dubai
- Thailand and Philippines set to boost Jafza investment
- Russia and Dubai aim to boost trade through Jafza hub
- MODON taking strides to improve Saudi logistics market
- Four logistics & transport companies among UAE top 50
- Milaha announces participation in The Cargo Show MENA
- Qatar logistics zone signs key contracts
- Etihad Rail hands over Operation Control Centre
- Gulf Warehousing win big at Global Best Practice Awards
- DP World and Kazakhstan officials discuss New Silk Road