Home / Port Rashid vessels face risk from sunken dhow wrecks
Port Rashid vessels face risk from sunken dhow wrecksby ASC Staff on Jan 2, 2013
Two sunken dhows, large enough to be a danger to passing ships, have been discovered in the waters at Port Rashid, the National newspaper reported today.
The vessels, each about 20 metres long, rise about five metres from the seabed of the harbour were discovered by HMS Enterprise, a British Royal Navy ship on a nine-month deployment to the Middle East, and her new survey motor boat, Spitfire, during two days of surveying work off Dubai.
After surveyed the wrecks, they passed the data to Dubai's port authority and other mariners have been alerted to the presence of the dhows.
The dhows Commander Derek Rae, the commanding officer of the Enterprise, said the chance to carry out the survey training, granted by the authorities in Dubai, was "invaluable".
"The outcome of the training has been mutually beneficial and we are delighted to have been of assistance to other mariners," he said on the Royal Navy's website.
It was the first real test for the survey boat, which had undergone trials in the UK and around Souda Bay in Crete, Greece.
Article by Emily Cleland (The National)
- Ship tycoon Fredriksen losses $3bn so far this year
- IMO calls for urgent action following Med disaster
- US Navy expands warship deployment off Yemen
- 900 confirmed deaths in refugee shipwreck
- DMCA workshop discusses new Maritime Arbitration Centre
- Smugglers breaching Iran sanctions at Khor Fakkan
- Bahri announces US $670m oil export contract
- ANALYSIS: Iran agreement a boon for tanker owners
- CMA CGM sending new largest ever ship to Middle East
- Hong Kong based OOCL orders six 21,000+ teu ships