Emirates sees UK, France flights hit by snow delaysby Shane McGinley on Jan 20, 2013
Dubai’s Emirates Airline has been forced to re-route or cancel some of its flights to Europe as snow continued to cause traffic disruption in and out of some of the continent’s largest airports.
As snowfall continues in the UK, London’s Heathrow Airport canceled more than 400 flights on Friday, while 100 were axed in Saturday.
In France, Reuters reported airlines are expected to be told to reduce flights in and out of Paris by as much as 40 percent on Sunday due to forecast snowfalls over the capital and surrounding region.
France's transport ministry said in a statement airlines had been asked to cut flight services by that amount at the two main airports on Paris's outskirts, Charles de Gaulle to the north and Orly to the south.
"Emirates is closely monitoring the weather situation in the United Kingdom and Europe and the impact it will have over the next 24 hours. Both London Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris have issued compulsory capacity restrictions,” an Emirates spokesperson said.
“As a result, Emirates flight EK29/30 (Dubai/London Heathrow/Dubai) on 20 January has been re-routed to London Gatwick, and flight EK71/72 (Dubai/Paris/Dubai) on 20 January has been cancelled. Passengers are being re- accommodated on later flights,” the statement added.
Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways said its scheduled flights into Europe were operating as normal as of noon on Sunday, January 20.
“When significant disruption at Heathrow is expected, a decision may be made to reduce the number of flights operating in advance. This introduces space into the flight schedule to clear snow and ice and reduces overall disruption by,” a statement on the Heathrow Airport website said.
“Passengers are advised to contact their airline to confirm their flight status and for any rebooking queries,” airport authorities said.
Emirates said it will be updating its flight information or passenger “every 5 minutes”.
- Air Partner's New Freight Business Development Manager
- Middle East air cargo demand continues to erode
- Qatar Airways plane makes emergency landing due to fire
- FOCUS: Logistics of Solar Impulse 2's historic flight
- Wind shear possible cause of Emirates crash landing
- Emirates plane bursts in flames in Dubai crash landing
- Dubai flight diverted due to security concerns
- Emirates ID can now be used for e-Gate at airport
- Emirates flight makes emergency landing
- Dubai flight makes emergency landing due to bomb scare